e martë, 1 korrik 2008

Isaiah 46

Passage: Isaiah 46
The Idols of Babylon and the One True God.
1 Bel bows down; Nebo stoops;
their idols are on beasts and livestock;
these things you carry are borne
as burdens on weary beasts.
2 They stoop; they bow down together;
they cannot save the burden,
but themselves go into captivity.
3 "Listen to me, O house of Jacob,
all the remnant of the house of Israel,
who have been borne by me from before your birth,
carried from the womb;
4 even to your old age I am he,
and to gray hairs I will carry you.
I have made, and I will bear;
I will carry and will save.
5 "To whom will you liken me and make me equal,
and compare me, that we may be alike?
6 Those who lavish gold from the purse,
and weigh out silver in the scales,
hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god;
then they fall down and worship!
7 They lift it to their shoulders, they carry it,
they set it in its place, and it stands there;
it cannot move from its place.
If one cries to it, it does not answer
or save him from his trouble.
8"Remember this and stand firm,
recall it to mind, you transgressors,
9 remember the former things of old;
for I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me,
10 declaring the end from the beginning
and from ancient times things not yet done,
saying, 'My counsel shall stand,
and I will accomplish all my purpose,'
11 calling a bird of prey from the east,
the man of my counsel from a far country.
I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass;
I have purposed, and I will do it.
12 "Listen to me, you stubborn of heart,
you who are far from righteousness:
13 I bring near my righteousness; it is not far off,
and my salvation will not delay;
I will put salvation in Zion,
for Israel my glory."

Journal: Idolatry is an affront to the glory of God. It is no wonder that idolatry is the subject matter of the very first of the 10 commandments. Babylon was arrogant and ruthless, steeped in idolatrous worship. God will use Babylon to discipline Judah. However, their rise to power lasted only as long as His sovereign will allowed. God gives a telling comparison. These gods of Babylon were only a lifeless burden; a burden even to the animals that would transport them from place to place. [v. 1 -- "Bel bows down; Nebo stoops; their idols are on beasts and livestock; these things you carry are borne as burdens on weary beasts."] As a complete contrast, the true God is the bearer of burdens and transports the soul of His children to redemption and reconciliation. [v. 4-5 -- "Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been borne by me from before your birth, carried from the womb; even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save."]

Jesus is the means to lessen the burden of life, and Isaiah points specifically to the salvation of the coming Messiah. [v. 13 -- "I bring near my righteousness; it is not far off, and my salvation will not delay; I will put salvation in Zion, for Israel my glory."] It is far too often that we lug around our heavy idols, placing our hope in the counsel of men. It is the counsel of God that will lessen our load, for Christ has become the bearer of our burdens. [Psalm 55:22 -- "Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."]