e martë, 22 janar 2008

Isaiah 27:2-6

Passage:
The Restoration of Israel.
2 In that day sing to her,
“ A vineyard of red wine!
3 I, the LORD, keep it,
I water it every moment;
Lest any hurt it,
I keep it night and day.
4 Fury is not in Me.
Who would set briers and thorns
Against Me in battle?
I would go through them,
I would burn them together.
5 Or let him take hold of My strength,
That he may make peace with Me;
And he shall make peace with Me.”
6 Those who come He shall cause to take root in Jacob;
Israel shall blossom and bud,
And fill the face of the world with fruit.

Journal:

Last time, we discussed that the term "that day" refers to the day of God's wrath. That is, the day in which God will destroy His enemies to promote His justice and the day in which God will save His children to further His glory. This judgment will illuminate His remnant, those who have responded to His grace. His children are compared to a vineyard that He has lovingly planted, maintained and protected. [27:3 "I, the LORD, keep it, I water it every moment; Lest any hurt it, I keep it night and day."] His enemies are compared to briers and thorns which He will burn. [27:4 "Fury is not in Me. Who would set briers and thorns against Me in battle? I would go through them, I would burn them together."] There is no peace outside of reconciliation with God. There is only destruction within enmity towards God. There seems to be an obvious choice here. There is peace. There is destruction. Yet man, left to himself, will always choose destruction. Our sinful nature desires to be a thorn and a brier. Thankfully, God has not left man to himself. It is the regenerated heart that can see that there is destruction waiting for that which comes naturally. It is the regenerated heart that can see the vine thriving among the thorns; that can see the hand of God tending to His garden. Praise God for the unnatural man; that is, the regenerated man that has taken "root in Jacob" and that will "fill the face of the world with fruit."

Heard 'Round the House:

Recently, I have been using the Daily Journal in family time with the rug rats. This is new [using the Daily Journal, not the family time], and also involves me reading the "Heard 'Round the House" portion. The first few have not involved Anna, and she is severely disappointed. Thus, she has been pausing after many recent conversations with mommy and asking her "That was funny, don't you think?" or "Tell Daddy I said that!" Little does she know that in all likelihood she has historically provided the most material for "Heard 'Round the House." In fact, my guess is that in the very near future she will be wishing that she had been highlighted a little less perhaps . . .